Lieutenant Colonel John P. Capra is Deputy Commander of the of the I.G. Brown Training and Education Center at
McGhee Tyson Air National Guard Base in East Tennessee - the Air National Guard's primary force
development center. He is responsible for delivering enlisted professional military education and professional continuing education to more than 4,000 in-resident, Total Force service members per
year, as well as typically 50,000 more via blended or distributed learning methodologies. Telling the
ANG's story across the nation, TEC develops high-quality media content and strategic messages through the television production studios of TEC TV. Also, TEC provides management for the Warrior Network
satellite broadcast system, which reaches all ANG locations. Lieutenant Colonel Capra is also the Mission Support
Division chief - ensuring communications, personnel, and campus operations support for staff and students.
Lieutenant Colonel Capra entered active duty by enlisting in the Aircrew Life Support career field in March 1984. He
left active duty and joined the Wisconsin Air National Guard's 126th Air Refueling Squadron as an
aircrew life support specialist in May 1985. He served in the career field until March 2005 and reached
the position of superintendent. Lieutenant Colonel Capra earned his commission as a second lieutenant through the
Academy of Military Science in 2005. He has served as a public affairs officer, administrative officer, community management officer, and logistics management officer. Before his current assignment, Lieutenant Colonel Capra served as commander
of the 128th Logistics Readiness Squadron.
1984 Aircrew Life Support Specialist Course, Chanute Air Force Base, Ill.
1984 Water Survival Training Course, Homestead AFB, Fla.
1986 NCO Prep Course, by correspondence
1990 Combat Survival Training, Fairchild AFB, Wash.
1992 NCO Academy, by correspondence
1992 Arctic Survival Training Course, Eielson AFB, Alaska
1996 Senior NCO Academy, by correspondence
1997 Associate in Applied Science, Survival and Rescue, Community College of the Air Force, Maxwell-
Gunter AFB, Ala.
2000 Bachelor’s degree in Business Management, Mount Scenario College, Ladysmith, Wis.
2006 Public Affairs Officer Course, Fort George G. Meade, Md.
2012 Logistics Readiness Officer Course, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas
1. May 1984–April 1985, Aircrew Life Support Technician, 334th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Seymour-
Johnson AFB, N.C.
2. May 1985–December 1986, Aircrew Life Support Technician, 128th Air Refueling Wing, Milwaukee
3. January 1987–December 1989, Aircrew Life Support Technician, 126th ARW, Chicago
4. December 1989–April 2000, Aircrew Life Support Supervisor, 128th ARW, Milwaukee
5. December 1990–April 1991, Aircrew Life Support Supervisor, 1706th ARW (Provisional),
Cairo West Air Base, Egypt
6. April 2000–February 2005, Aircrew Life Support Superintendent, 128th ARW, Milwaukee
7. April 2005–March 2012, Public Affairs Officer, 128th ARW, Milwaukee
8. May 2011–July 2011, Public Affairs Officer, 313th Air Expeditionary Wing, Morón Air Base, Spain
9. March 2012–April 2014, Logistics Management Officer, 128th ARW, Milwaukee
10. April 2014–January 2018, Commander, 128th Logistics Readiness Squadron, Milwaukee
11. January 2018–present, Deputy Commander, I.G. Brown Training and Education Center, Tenn.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with two Oak Leaf Clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with two Oak Leaf Clusters
NATO Medal (Libya)
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Technical Sergeant April 1, 1989
Master Sergeant April 15, 1993
Senior Master Sergeant July 15, 2000
Second Lieutenant April 21, 2005
First Lieutenant April 21, 2007
Captain April 21, 2009
Major October 15, 2013
Lieutenant Colonel October 3, 2017
(Current as of July 2018)