Chief Master Sergeant Steven A. Durrance is the 16th commandant of the Chief Master Sergeant Paul H. Lankford Enlisted Professional Military Education Center at McGhee Tyson Air National Guard Base in East Tennessee. He is responsible for the daily operations and the public perception of the U.S. Air Force’s largest EPME center. Chief Durrance develops, plans and evaluates EPME program effectiveness while identifying and implementing future direction and growth. He ensures 45 faculty and staff perform by the directives of the Thomas N. Barnes Center for Enlisted Education, as well as USAF and ANG instructions and guidelines. Chief Durrance acts as the senior enlisted leader for the Commander, I.G. Brown Training and Education Center, for all enlisted matters. He advises the commander on the development, implementation, and status of EPME programs in the ANG and across the total force. He briefs USAF, ANG, and Air Force Reserve Command senior leaders on the status and potential of their EPME programs. He informs and interacts with the ANG Command Chief on EPME programs, status, and future possibilities.
Chief Durrance enlisted in the Air Force in 1984 and served 10 years on active duty. He joined the Washington Air National Guard in 2001. His overseas service includes contingencies for operations Gothic Serpent, Shula Thunder, Cope Thunder, Noble Eagle, Team Spirit, Giant Sword, Gunsmoke, Desert Shield/Desert Storm, Provide Hope, Southern Watch, masked SOUTHCOM and PACOM operations, and two deployments for Enduring Freedom and one for New Dawn.
Before his current assignment, Chief Durrance served as a drill status superintendent for the 141st Medical Group as well as a fulltime senior enlisted advisor for the 10th Homeland Response Force, located near Spokane, Wash.
1987 Noncommissioned Officer Preparatory Course, Fairchild AFB, Wash.
2005 Noncommissioned Officer Academy, by correspondence
2007 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, by correspondence
2009 National Guard Support Management Course, Johnston, Iowa
2009 USAF First Sergeant Academy, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2010 National Guard Aviation Policy Course, Buckley AFB, Colo.
2010 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education, by correspondence
2010 Leadership Challenge Program I, II, McGhee Tyson ANG Base, Tenn.
2014 Associate degree, Human Resources, Community College of the Air Force
2014 Associate degree, Aircrew Safety Systems, Community College of the Air Force
2014 Reserve Component National Security Course, National Defense University, D.C.
2015 Chief’s Executive Course, ANG Readiness Center, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
2016 Bachelor’s degree, Strategic Leadership, Southwestern College, Winfield, Kan.
2017 Advance WMD Radiological Nuclear FEMA Certification, by correspondence
2017 Defense Support of Civil Authorities Phase I, by correspondence
2017 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education II, by correspondence
2017 Chief Master Sergeant Leadership Course, ANGRC, Md.
2017 Lean Six Sigma, Green Belt Certification, Camp Murray, Wash.
2017 National Guard Bureau Budget Officer Course, Patrick AFB, Fla.
2018 Defense Support of Civil Authorities Phase II, Fort Collins, Colo.
1. March 1985 - April 1986, Aircraft Armament Systems Specialist (F4D/G, F16A/B), 8th Tactical Fighter Wing, Kunsan Air Base, Korea (November 1985 - March 1986, Avionics (F4D/G F16A/B), Clark AB, Philippines)
2. April 1986 - May 1988, Aircraft Armament Systems Specialist (B52D/H/G), 92nd Bombardment Wing, Fairchild AFB, Wash.
3. May 1988 - January 1993, Aircraft Armament Systems Specialist (F15C/D, F16C/D, F111D, F4G, A10C, F18C/D), 86th Tactical Fighter Wing, Ramstein AB, Germany
4. January 1993 - November 1994, Airborne Gunner (AC130H), 1st Special Operations Wing, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
5. November 1994 - October 2001, Civilian, break in service
6. January 2002 - July 2006, Aircrew Life Support Craftsman, as a drill status Airman, 116th Air Refueling Squadron, Fairchild AFB, Wash. (June 2005 - September 2009, Instructor - Survival, Evasion, Resistance, Escape, Joint Personnel Recovery Agency, Spokane, Wash.)
7. July 2006 - June 2008, Life Support NCOIC, as a drill status Airman, 116th Air Refueling Squadron, Fairchild AFB, Wash.
8. June 2008 - February 2015, First Sergeant, as a drill status Airman, 141st Medical Group/116th Operations Group, Fairchild AFB, Wash. (August 2009 - September 2012, NCOIC, C26 Counterdrug Operations, Fairchild AFB, Wash.) (September 2012 - November 2018, Senior Enlisted Leader - Air, 10th Homeland Response Force, J38 Operations, Fairchild AFB, Wash.)
9. February 2015 - November 2018, Superintendent, as a drill status Airman, 141st Medical Group, Fairchild AFB, Wash.
10. November 2018 – present, Commandant, Chief Master Sergeant Paul H. Lankford EPME Center, McGhee Tyson ANGB, Tenn.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Army Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Army Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATE OF PROMOTION
Chief Master Sergeant August 1, 2014
(Current as of December 2018)