Chief Master Sergeant Shaun W. Withers is a member of the Florida Air National Guard assigned as Chief of the Professional Continuing Education Branch for the I.G. Brown Training and Education Center on McGhee Tyson Air National Guard Base in east Tennessee. He leads a staff of 18 who support effective communications in public affairs and education for the ANG. This is provided through focused strategic communication enabling tools to include video production, broadcast, instructional development, and delivery. Chief Withers oversees the worldwide broadcast of educational training programs. He manages a $7 million television production and broadcast center and provides oversight of a $500,000 annual satellite communications contract supporting the Warrior Network.
Chief Withers is a graduate of Westfield High School in Massachusetts. He enlisted in March 1991. He deployed three times in support of overseas contingencies, which include Operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom along with tours supporting Operations Northern and Southern Watch. He responded to domestic operations, which includes support to civil authority missions during the 1998 Florida wildfires as well as Hurricanes Katrina, Wilma, Opal, and, most recently, Irma. He served in the top ANG public affairs enlisted position as Career Field Manager.
1992 Visual Information Production Documentation Apprentice, Lowry Air Force Base, Colo.
1995 Private Pilot License, Phoenix College of Aeronautics, Daytona, Fla.
1997 Airman Leadership School, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
1998 Avid Editor Certification, Avid Technology Inc., Jacksonville, Fla.
2001 NCO Academy, TEC, McGhee Tyson ANGB, Tenn.
2003 Electronic Imaging, Defense Information School, Fort Meade, Md.
2006 Associate of Applied Science, Audio Visual Production, Community College of the Air Force, Ala.
2009 Senior NCO Academy, Gunter Annex, Ala.
2010 Instructor Certification Course, TEC, McGhee Tyson ANGB, Tenn.
2012 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education, by correspondence
2012 Joint Senior Enlisted Public Affairs Course, DINFOS, Fort Meade, Md.
2018 Bachelor of Science, General Studies, University of Management and Technology, Arlington, Va.
1. March 1991–January 1993, Visual Information Production-Documentation Technician, 104th Tactical Fighter Wing, Westfield, Mass.
2. March 1993–September 1998, Visual Information Production-Documentation Technician, 125th Fighter Wing, Jacksonville, Fla.
3. June 1998–July 2001, Audio Visual Production Specialist GS-9, Jacksonville, Fla.
4. July 2001–March 2007, Base Visual Information Manager GS-11, Jacksonville, Fla.
5. September 1998–March 2007, Video NCOIC, 125 FW, Jacksonville, Fla.
6. March 2007–May 2010, Broadcast NCOIC, Air National Guard Readiness Center, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
7. May 2010–August 2014, Air National Guard Public Affairs Career Field Manager/Functional Area Manager, ANGRC, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
8. August 2014–January 2017, Superintendent, Professional Continuing Education Branch, TEC, McGhee Tyson ANGB, Tenn.
9. January 2017–June 2019, Superintendent, Production, Professional Continuing Education Branch, TEC, McGhee Tyson ANGB, Tenn.
10. July 2019–present, Chief, Professional Continuing Education Branch, I.G. Brown Training and Education Center, McGhee Tyson ANGB, Tenn.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
Army Achievement Medal
1995 Air National Guard Cinematographer of the Year
EFFECTIVE DATE OF PROMOTION
Chief Master Sergeant July 1, 2019
Senior Master Sergeant June 18, 2010
Master Sergeant January 11, 2002
Technical Sergeant December 1,1999
Staff Sergeant June 1,1997
Senior Airman June 1,1994
Airman 1st Class October 15,1992
Airman April 1,1992
(Current as of July 2019)