Chief Master Sergeant Shaun W. Withers is the 17th commandant of the Chief Master Sergeant Paul H. Lankford Enlisted Professional Military Education Center at McGhee Tyson Air National Guard Base in East Tennessee. He is responsible for the daily operations and the public perception of the U.S. Air Force’s largest EPME center. Chief Withers develops, plans and evaluates EPME program effectiveness while identifying and implementing future direction and growth. He ensures 45 faculty and staff perform by the directives of the Thomas N. Barnes Center for Enlisted Education, as well as USAF and ANG instructions and guidelines. Chief Withers acts as the senior enlisted leader for the Commander, I.G. Brown Training and Education Center, for all enlisted matters. He advises the commander on the development, implementation, and status of EPME programs in the ANG and across the total force. He briefs USAF, ANG, and Air Force Reserve Command senior leaders on the status and potential of their EPME programs. He informs and interacts with the ANG Command Chief on EPME programs, status, and future possibilities.
Chief Master Sergeant Withers enlisted in 1991 in the Massachusetts Air National Guard. In 1993 he transferred to the Florida Air National Guard. Sergeant Withers deployed three times in support of overseas contingencies, which include Operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom along with tours supporting Operations Northern and Southern Watch. He responded to domestic operations, which includes support to civil authority missions during the 1998 Florida wildfires as well as Hurricanes Katrina, Wilma, Opal, Irma and, most recently, Maria. He served in the top ANG public affairs enlisted position as Career Field Manager.
1992 Visual Information Production Documentation Apprentice, Lowry Air Force Base, Colo.
1995 Private Pilot License, Phoenix College of Aeronautics, Daytona, Fla.
1997 Airman Leadership School, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
1998 Avid Editor Certification, Avid Technology Inc., Jacksonville, Fla.
2001 NCO Academy, TEC, McGhee Tyson ANGB, Tenn.
2003 Electronic Imaging, Defense Information School, Fort Meade, Md.
2006 Associate of Applied Science, Audio Visual Production, Community College of the Air Force, Ala.
2009 Senior NCO Academy, Gunter Annex, Ala.
2010 Instructor Certification Course, TEC, McGhee Tyson ANGB, Tenn.
2012 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education, by correspondence
2012 Joint Senior Enlisted Public Affairs Course, DINFOS, Fort Meade, Md.
2018 Bachelor of Science, General Studies, University of Management and Technology, Arlington, Va.
2020 Chief Master Sergeant Orientation Course, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
1. March 1991–January 1993, Visual Information Production-Documentation Technician, 104th Tactical Fighter Wing, Westfield, Mass.
2. March 1993–September 1998, Visual Information Production-Documentation Technician, 125th Fighter Wing, Jacksonville, Fla.
3. June 1998–July 2001, Audio Visual Production Specialist GS-9, Jacksonville, Fla.
4. July 2001–March 2007, Base Visual Information Manager GS-11, Jacksonville, Fla.
5. September 1998–March 2007, Video NCOIC, 125 FW, Jacksonville, Fla.
6. March 2007–May 2010, Broadcast NCOIC, Air National Guard Readiness Center, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
7. May 2010–August 2014, Air National Guard Public Affairs Career Field Manager/Functional Area Manager, ANGRC, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
8. August 2014–January 2017, Superintendent, Professional Continuing Education Branch, TEC, McGhee Tyson ANGB, Tenn.
9. January 2017–June 2019, Superintendent, Production, Professional Continuing Education Branch, TEC, McGhee Tyson ANGB, Tenn.
10. July 2019–December 2021, Chief, Training and Education Center University Branch, I.G. Brown Training and Education Center, McGhee Tyson ANGB, Tenn.
11. December 2021-Present, Commandant, Paul H. Lankford Enlisted Professional Military Education Center, I.G. Brown Training and Education Center, McGhee Tyson ANGB, Tenn.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
Army Achievement Medal
1995 Air National Guard Cinematographer of the Year
EFFECTIVE DATE OF PROMOTION
Chief Master Sergeant July 2019
(Current as of April 2022)